Data Scientist & Bio-Image Processing Specialist (Senior Technician)
The Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares (CNIC) is a public research institute dedicated to excellence in cardiovascular research and to translating new knowledge into real improvements in clinical practice. This modern building is equipped with the latest scientific equipment, including state-of-the-art imaging technologies, and a comprehensive research-support infrastructure.
A Senior Technician position is available to work at Cellomics Unit.
The position focuses on the development and validation of novel analysis methods for cytometry data and images ranging from molecular/cellular to tissue/organ resolution for a broad range of biological applications. Modelling and simulations of processes within cells and organs for understanding biological processes is a particular area of applications that needs to be expanded within this group. Specific topics include computational analysis of multicolor flow cytometry data, 2D and 3D image analysis and segmentation, machine learning, 3D/4D modelling, reconstruction and tracking, and the design of decision support systems for High Content Screening. Key to the success of the unit is close cooperation with biological partners.
- Development of new algorithms for supervised/unsupervised image analysis, with an eye on applications such as advanced 2D/3D/4D modelling and tracking, and High Content Screening.
- Development of analysis tools for multicolor flow cytometry data, including preprocessing, representation, and clustering techniques.
- Development of data analysis, mining and visualization tools for complex biological problems, making it possible to draw biological/clinical conclusions.
We are looking for a Data Scientist & Bio-Image Processing Specialist with a background on the relevant technical areas, fluency in English, and strong motivation for research and development of work.
- PhD degree in computer science, engineering, image processing, computational biology or bioinformatics.
- At least 5 years’ experience in data science/bio-image processing for research.
- Programming skills in Matlab, Python, and R.
- Experience of deep learning strategies/algorithms; convolutional neural networks (CNNs), region-based CNNs (R-CNNs), and residual networks (ResNets).
- Experience of ImageJ/FIJI software.
- Experience of High Content Screening processing software (Columbus, Definiens).
- Experience of cytometry analysis software (FlowJo, FCS Express).
- Background in biology, flow cytometry, and biomedical imaging.
- Publication record on the relevant technical areas.
- Incorporation into a growing Research Center of international scientific relevance.
- Integration into a young team, in an excellent scientific environment.
- Access to a modern infrastructure and advanced technologies.
- Significant possibilities for personal development.
- Permanent contract.
Selection plan: At least the 3 candidates who reach the score of 70 points in the sum of the valuable requirements (C1 – C7) will be interviewed and the candidate with the highest final score will be hired if greater than 85 points (C1-C8).
The CNIC is a center that advocates equal job opportunities for men and women, foreign and national, and promote nondiscrimination by reason of age, race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, language, disability, political orientation or social or economic conditions. The CNIC ensures the utmost rigor in the application of the principles of equality, merit and ability in public employment and current rules on data protection.
"In the event of absence of any of the evaluators an alternate evaluator of the same area will be appointed"