Postdoctoral Researcher for the Molecular Cardiology Laboratory
The CNIC Foundation has been conceived to develop research of excellence, competitive and of international relevance in relation to cardiovascular diseases. The Foundation has a research center of 24,000 m2, located in Madrid, with more than 6,000 m2 for laboratories equipped with a state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment.
The CNIC is considering applications for a Post-doctoral position for the Molecular Cardiology Laboratory directed by Professor Silvia G Priori. The laboratory director, Prof Silvia G Priori, and her team are internationally recognized leaders in the field of genetic causes of sudden cardiac death and gene therapy of cardiac arrhythmias.
The position is for a highly motivated scientist who will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of protocols for the functional characterization of mitochondrial Ca2+ homeostasis and production of reactive oxygen species and ATP in the heart in health and disease. An important part of the research project in which the candidate will be involved is dedicated to the investigation of mitochondrial physiology in isolated cardiac myocytes from an animal model of inherited arrhythmias that shows mitochondrial structural abnormalities. The candidate will also be involved in the characterization of mitochondrial ion channels (VDAC2, MCU) in regulating mitochondrial calcium.
The position is funded by an advanced research grant of European Research Council and by other grants awarded to Dr Priori at CNIC. The ideal candidates will have to be competent in performing critical review of data, experimental troubleshooting, data analysis, and presentation of research data and project updates. The candidate should be aware that the position may require traveling to other laboratories in EU and USA for collaborating in projects with our partner institutions. Preferred candidates will have a solid biochemistry and molecular biology background. The candidate is expected to have sound verbal and written communication skills in English.
- PhD in Molecular Biology or related discipline (life science area).
- At minimum of 3 years of relevant post-doctoral experience.
- Competence in two or more of the following:
- Knowledge on mitochondrial physiology and biochemistry.
- Having performed research on mitochondria.
- Being independent in the use of confocal and/or electron microscopy.
- Competence in advanced molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with Patch Clamp.
- Experience in Calcium imaging.
Additional Qualifications relevant to the position:
- Knowledge of cardiac electrophysiology and arrhythmia pathophysiology.
- Publication record and/or documented experience in electrophysiology.
- Knowledge of laboratory quality standards including BSL2 safety policies.
Other desired professional skills:
- Strong presentation and writing skills.
- Availability to spend part of the work abroad (Spain, Italy and USA).
- Capability of working in a team, but able to plan and work independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and competitive field.
- Joining a research center with international relevance. Linked to the public sector and managed by a foundation
- Integration in a young and highly active team in an environment of scientific excellence
- Access to modern infrastructure with the latest technology for generation and study of cardiovascular murine models
- Competitive salary according to the candidate’s expertise and qualification.
- The initial contract duration is 3 years.
Candidates are encouraged to apply providing: 1) a letter that explains the reasons for being interested in this job, 2) a CV with list of publications and techniques mastered; 3) three recommendation letters of previous mentors who have either known the candidate during her/his research activities or who have expertise in the field of the thesis or the research topic of the candidate.
C1- Knowledge about mitochondria physiology and biochemistry and documented research activity and publication in the mitochondria field – MAXIMUM 30 POINTS
C2- Competence in advanced molecular biology techniques – MAXIMUM 20 POINTS
C3- Being independent in the use of confocal and/or electron microscopy – MAXIMUM 20 POINTS
C4- Competence in English language - MAXIMUM 10 POINTS
C5- Interview - MAXIMUM 20 POINTS (We will interview only candidates with at least a score of 65 points when criteria C1-C4 are summed)
SELECTION PLAN: We will interview at least the 5 candidates with the highest score, if 5 or more candidates will score more than 65 points. The candidate that will be hired will be the one with the highest score selected among all the candidates with a global score (C1-C5) of 85 or more points.
The CNIC is a center that advocates equal job opportunities for men and women, foreign and national, and promote nondiscrimination by reason of age, race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, language, disability, political orientation or social or economic conditions. The CNIC ensures the utmost rigor in the application of the principles of equality, merit and ability in public employment and current rules on data protection.
"En caso de ausencia de alguno de los evaluadores se nombrará un evaluador alternativo de la misma área"